We bring to you the full list of all the 10 Universities in Osun state. We’ll provide you with information about State, Federal, and Private Universities in the state.
The state of Osun is located in western Nigeria. Osun state which is one of the 36 states and capital in Nigeria, was formed from the eastern portion of Oyo state in 1991.
It is bordered on the northeast by Kwara, on the east by Ekiti and Ondo, on the south by Ogun, and on the west and northwest by Oyo.
The Yoruba Hills run through Osun’s northern region. The Osun River is the most important river in the state, which is covered with tropical rain forest.
How Many Universities Are In Osun State?
In Osun State, there are ten universities, one of which is owned by the federal government, one by the state government, and the other eight by private individuals.
In this post, you’ll come to know if your institution makes it to the list of the top 10 best universities in Nigeria.
Did you know that the literacy rate in Osun state is 80.0% according to UNESCO? Quite recently, the Governor, – Ademola Adeleke, has asked the Ministry of Education, Science, and Innovation to investigate the possibility of reintroducing digital learning tablets to Osun schools after the state’s basic education performance fell to the bottom ten recently.
In another news, the governor of Osun State said that he would soon organize an educational summit where all stakeholders would discuss how to ensure that the state’s educational policies and standards are in line with the needs of the twenty-first century.
In this post, we’ll share with you the list of all the Universities in Osun state.
List of Federal Universities In Osun State
There’s only one federal university in osun state, the Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU). This university is one of the several federal universities in Nigeria.
Previously known as the University of Ife, OAU was established in 1961 and renamed in 1987 to honor the late Chief Obafemi Awolowo, a prominent Nigerian statesman and nationalist.
The university is situated in Ile-Ife, a city that holds great historical and cultural significance as the ancestral home of the Yoruba people. With a strong commitment to academic excellence, OAU offers a wide range of undergraduate and postgraduate programs across various disciplines, including the arts, humanities, social sciences, natural sciences, and engineering.
In addition to its academic prowess, Obafemi Awolowo University is known for its beautiful campus, featuring impressive architecture and a serene environment that provides an ideal setting for learning and personal development.
NUC approved this federal university. We’ll shed more light on other universities in Osun state in the following subheadings.
- How much is the tuition fee at OAU?
The current tuition at Obafemi Awolowo University in Ile-Ife is 159,000 Naira for new students and 151,500 Naira for returning students. You must verify the departmental fees for new students on the school’s official website. The online payment site would also be used for payment.
- What is the cut off mark for OAU courses?
The OAU JAMB cutoff mark is 180. This indicates that in order to be considered for admission through the UTME in 2023, a candidate must receive a minimum JAMB score of 180. Sometimes, candidates must demonstrate that they received at least 180 in JAMB in order to be eligible to take the OAU post-UTME screening.
List of State Universities In Osun State
There’s only one state university in Osun state, namely the University of Osun – UNIOSUN for short.
Established to provide quality education and foster research and innovation, UNIOSUN has since grown to become a beacon of knowledge and progress for its students, the local community, and Nigeria as a whole.
Osun State University, also known as UNIOSUN, was established in 2006 by the then-Governor of Osun State, Prince Olagunsoye Oyinlola, making it join the list of state universities in Nigeria.
The university was founded with the vision of providing accessible, affordable, and high-quality education to the people of Osun State and Nigeria at large.
Over the years, UNIOSUN has evolved into a thriving institution with a diverse range of academic programs and research initiatives that cater to the needs of its ever-growing student population.
- How much is Osun State University school fees?
The current tuition at Osun State University, Osogbo is between 160,000 and 235,000 for new students and between 100,000 and 105,000 for returning students. You must verify the departmental fees for new students on the school’s official website.
- What is the cutoff mark for UNIOSUN?
Except for nursing, medicine, law, common law, and Islamic law, which have a cut-off point of 200, UNIOSUN’s current UTME cut-off mark is 160. Candidates who named UNIOSUN their first choice in the recently completed UTME are invited to apply to the Osun State University, Osogbo for admission to their desired department.
- What are the requirements for UNIOSUN admission?
Except as otherwise specified, all applicants seeking admission to any of Osun State University’s postgraduate programs must have a minimum of 5 credits, which must include English Language and four other pertinent topics taken in no more than two sittings.
Related: List of Universities in Rivers State
List of Private Universities in Osun State
There are a total of 8 private universities in Osun State, most of which are part of the cheapest private universities in Nigeria.
- Adeleke University, Ede
- Bowen University, Iwo
- Fountain University, Oshogbo
- Joseph Ayo Babalola University, Ikeji-Arakeji
- Kings University, Ode Omu
- Oduduwa University, Ipetumodu – Osun State
- Redeemer’s University, Ede
- Westland University Iwo, Osun State
Facts About OAU Federal University
Below are some of the fascinating facts about OAU, one of the top federal universities in Nigeria:
- Established in 1962, OAU is one of Nigeria’s oldest and most prestigious universities, originally named the University of Ife before being renamed in honor of Chief Obafemi Awolowo, a prominent Nigerian statesman and nationalist.
- The university is renowned for its architectural beauty, featuring buildings designed by the renowned Israeli architect Arieh Sharon, who masterfully blended modernist elements with traditional Nigerian motifs.
- OAU boasts a diverse range of academic disciplines, offering undergraduate and postgraduate programs in fields such as arts, social sciences, natural sciences, medical sciences, engineering, and environmental design.
- The university is home to the Natural History Museum of Nigeria, which houses a vast collection of flora and fauna specimens, contributing to the institution’s commitment to research and conservation efforts.
- OAU has a strong focus on community engagement and outreach, with various initiatives and programs designed to support local communities in Osun State and beyond.
- The university has produced numerous distinguished alumni who have made significant contributions to Nigeria’s development, such as Nobel laureate Wole Soyinka, former Central Bank of Nigeria Governor Lamido Sanusi, and prominent business leader Tony Elumelu.
- OAU’s vibrant campus life is enriched by various clubs, societies, and cultural organizations, which offer students opportunities to engage in extracurricular activities and develop their talents outside the classroom.
- The institution is committed to promoting sustainable development and has implemented various eco-friendly practices, such as the use of solar-powered streetlights and waste management initiatives.
- OAU’s main library, the Hezekiah Oluwasanmi Library, is one of the largest academic libraries in Nigeria, housing an extensive collection of books, journals, and other research materials.
Facts About Osun State University – UNIOSUN
As a state university, the following are interesting things to know about the UNIOSUN citadel of learning:
- UNIOSUN is a multi-campus university, with its main campus located in Osogbo, the capital of Osun State. It also has campuses in other towns within the state, such as Ikire, Ejigbo, Ifetedo, Ipetu-Ijesa, and Okuku.
- The university offers a wide range of academic programs at undergraduate and postgraduate levels, spanning various fields, including arts, humanities, social sciences, natural and applied sciences, management, and health sciences.
- The university is dedicated to promoting research, innovation, and entrepreneurship, with a strong focus on solving local and national challenges.
- UNIOSUN places an emphasis on community engagement and partnership, working closely with local communities and businesses to foster sustainable development and improve the quality of life in Osun State.
- As a relatively young institution, UNIOSUN is committed to continuous growth and improvement, striving to provide world-class education and research opportunities for its students and faculty.
Related: Full List of Universities in Ogun State
Guidelines For Establishing Institutions of Higher Education In Nigeria
Pursuant to the recommendations of the Commission on the Review of Higher Education in Nigeria, the Federal Government of Nigeria has approved guidelines for the establishment of higher institutions of learning in Nigeria.
Relevant excerpts contained in the Education (National Minimum Standards and Establishment of Institutions) (Amendment Decree No. 9 of 1993 are reproduced hereunder:-
19A. An institution of Higher Education may be sponsored or owned by the Government of the Federation or of a State or Local Government or by any of the following, that is:
a. By a Company incorporated in Nigeria: or
b. By an individual or association of individuals who are citizens of Nigeria, and who satisfy the criteria set out in the Schedule to this Act for the establishment of institutions.
Related: Full list of Universities In Abia State
19B (1) Application for the establishment of an institution of higher education shall be made to the Minister:
a. in the case of a University, through the National Universities Commission:
b. in the case of a Polytechnic or College of Agriculture, through the National Board for Technical Education;
c. in the case of a College of Education, through the National Commission for Colleges of Education; and
d. in any other case, through the Director-General of the Federal Ministry of Education, in accordance with the guidelines prescribed for making the application.
No doubt, the establishment of existing Universities in Osun state is in accordance with the provisions of the above.
(2) No State, Local Government, or tertiary institution shall benefit from the education tax with respect to a tertiary institution unless the application for the establishment of that tertiary institution was made in accordance with the provision of subsection (1) of this section.
(3) No person shall be granted approval to establish an institution of higher education unless the criteria set out in the Schedule to this Act have been satisfied.
Summary of Universities In Osun State
Thanks for checking this post about the Universities in Osun state. With a good number of learning institutions at the tertiary level, you’ll agree that the number of universities in Osun is a great backing of the literacy level presented by UNESCO (2012).
Are you currently in any of the schools in Osun? Tell us about your experience and let the world know!
Even More Topics: