If you want the complete list of universities in Oyo State, then this post is your last stop. We’ll share with you the list of Federal, State, and Private Universities in the state of Oyo.
Oyo state is located in the interior of southern Nigeria. Ibadan, the state’s current capital and third largest city, was formerly Africa’s second most populated.
Oyo State is bounded by Kwara State to the north, Osun State to the east, Ogun State to the southwest, and the Republic of Benin to the south. Oyo State is the fifth most populous in Nigeria, with an expected population of 7,840,864 in 2016.
It’s important to note that the bulk of Oyo State’s population is Yoruba, and the Yoruba language continues to be the most often spoken.
Oyo State, sometimes known as the “Pace Setter State,” is located on land that was historically part of many different kingdoms and empires.
From from 1300 until around 1896, the Oyo Empire was a dominant Yoruba power in the region.
The current city of Oyo was established in the 1830s and is known as “New y” (y tbà) to differentiate itself from the old capital to the north, “Old y” (y-Ilé), which dates back to the pre-colonial period. The Alaafin of Oyo still performs ceremonial duties.
The University of Ibadan, Nigeria’s pioneering institution of higher learning, opened its doors in 1948 in the state of Oyo. The western city of Shaki is considered the state’s breadbasket, and agriculture continues to play a significant role in the economy.
Interestingly, the University of Ibadan has made it to the top list of the best Universities in Nigeria today.
The economies of neighboring states rely heavily on the export of Oyo State’s primary agricultural products, including cassava, cocoa, and tobacco.
The following is a list of Oyo State’s Federal, state, and private institutions that have been authorized by the National University Commission (NUC).
Oyo State is home to ten different universities, one of which is affiliated with the federal government, two of which are affiliated with the state government, and the other seven are privately held.
The following is a list of universities in Oyo State, including federal, state, and private institutions that have been authorized by the NUC.
List of Federal Universities In Oyo State
On the list of federal universities in Nigeria, there is only one federal university in Oyo state namely:
- University of Ibadan: Ibadan, Nigeria is home to a public institution of higher education known as the University of Ibadan (UI). Institution College Ibadan, one of several colleges that make up the University of London, was first established in 1948 as the university we know today.
It is Nigeria’s oldest degree-granting institution and became an autonomous university in 1962, making it the country’s oldest educational establishment overall.
The University of Ibadan has made significant contributions to the political, industrial, economic, and cultural growth of Nigeria by way of the graduate network that it maintains.
Because of its long history and widespread influence, the University of Ibadan is often regarded as one of the continent’s most distinguished educational institutions.
List of State Universities in Oyo State
Oyo State is also blessed with two state universities that offer quality education and serene learning environment for its students. They are:
- Oyo State Technical University Ibadan: Oyo State Technical University Ibadan, also known as Tech-U, the foremost technical institution in Nigeria, is based on the principles of entrepreneurship, innovation, and environmental responsibility.
The government of Oyo State funded the creation of the university to help close the gap between what is needed from recent college grads and what is taught in the classroom.
The University of Ife is in a prime location to lead the way in establishing a technically-sound educational system based on cutting-edge innovations and technology that would propel economic growth in Oyo State and the rest of Nigeria.
- Ladoke Akintola University of Technology, Ogbomoso: Ladoke Akintola University of Technology, often known as LAUTECH, is a tertiary institution that can be found in Ogbomoso, which is situated in Oyo State, Nigeria. The institution has more than 30,000 students enrolled and employs more than 3,000 people overall, not including its contingent workforce.
Did you know that Osun State and Oyo State co-owned Lautech until 2020? Check out the full list of all Universities in Osun State.
List of Private Universities in Oyo State
Private universities are not left out on the list. Some of the private universities in Oyo state are:
- Kola Daisi University Ibadan, Oyo State: Ibadan, the capital city of Oyo State, is home to the private KolaDaisi University. Chief KolaDaisi, CON, Bashorun of Ibadan is credited with founding the university and serving as its proprietor.
There is a connection between it and the KolaDaisi Foundation (KDF). In November of 2016, the National Universities Commission granted KolaDaisi University (KDU), which had previously been granted approval by the Federal Executive Council, a license to operate as a Private University.
- Ajayi Crowther University, Ibadan: ACU, or Ajayi Crowther University, is a private institution of higher education in the city of Oyo, Oyo State, Nigeria.
With roots in both the now-defunct CMS* training facility in Abeokuta and the now-defunct St. Andrews College in Oyo, the Supra Diocesan Board (West) of the Church of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) founded the current Ajayi Crowther University, Oyo.
- Precious Cornerstone University, Oyo: Founded in 2017, Precious Cornerstone University is a private institution of higher education in the city of Ibadan in the Nigerian state of Oyo.
The Chancellor of Precious Cornerstone University is Francis Wale Oke, who also serves as the Pastor of the prominent Pentecostal church, Sword of the Spirit Ministries, in Ibadan, Oyo State.
- Atiba University Oyo: In a world where knowledge rather than material resources drives economic growth and national development, Atiba University opened its doors in December 2017 with the dual mission of creating and disseminating information.
Consistent with the goals of the Proprietor, Atiba University will not only expand but also shine, increasing its anticipated institutional values and having far-reaching economic, cultural, and social benefits in Nigeria and beyond.
- Dominican University Ibadan Oyo State: Dominican University, located near Roseau. Ibadan, Nigeria is home to the very first university established by the Order of Preachers on the whole African continent. Dominic de Guzman, a Spanish priest, established the Order of Preachers in 1216 with the blessing of Pope Innocent III.
This order is more often known as the Dominican Order. In the more than 800 years that the Order has been in existence, it has played an active role in the education of university students all around the globe.
On the occasion of the Dominican Order’s 800th anniversary, Ibadan Dominican University was opened its doors to its first students.
- Lead City University, Ibadan: The city of Ibadan in Nigeria is home to Lead City University.
In 2002, the school applied for approval from the National Universities Commission. In August and September of 2003, the SCOPU came to do verification and final assessments.
Assessment visits concluded with SCOPU reporting that Lead City University’s profile indicated the Proprietor possesses the necessary qualifications and financial wherewithal to launch a private institution of higher education.
Finally, on February 16, 2005, the Federal Executive Council ratified the university after it had been “approved for immediate take off” by the Board of NUC in December 2003.
Also Read: List of All Universities in Lagos State
Facts About University of Ibadan as a Federal University
- At the ceremony to establish the University of Ibadan on Wednesday, November 17, 1948, the sod was officially turned by Arthur Creech Jones, the United Kingdom’s Secretary of State for the Colonies.
- After Kenneth Mellanby Hall and Lord Tedder Hall, Ransome Kuti Hall was known as Hall Three.
- In his position at the University of Ibadan, Professor Ajose made history as the first African professor to hold such a position. On academic circles, he specialized in health promotion. In time, he rose through the ranks to become Obafemi Awolowo University’s Vice Chancellor.
- History books may have you think there were just three departments when the University of Ibadan first opened, but archives show otherwise. Arts, Science, Medicine (the three widely thought to be the founding faculty), and Agriculture make up the four schools. But due to the fact that it only had two students, Agriculture was often overlooked as a legitimate academic discipline.
Facts About Oyo State Technical University Ibadan
- Candidates may enter the degree programs in three distinct ways: via the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME), directly through the universities, or through the Inter-University
- The University offers 15 degree programs that have been recognized by the National Universities Commission (NUC).
Also Read: List of all Universities in Abia State
Facts About Precious Cornerstone University, Oyo
- Precious Cornerstone University was established by the current Vice Chancellor, Bishop Francis Wale Oke, and the institution is governed by a board of trustees and a University council, which together serve as the institution’s governing and policy-making body.
Summary (Universities in Oyo State)
Remember that student life is demanding and busy no matter which university you choose to get enrolled in.
That’s why it’s crucial that you invest time and energy into studying which University will give you a high-quality education rather than simply an inexpensive price tag, and why so many individuals worry about picking a decent institution that will at least make life a little simpler.
Presently, there are ten universities in Oyo state that have been split into Federal, State and Private.
Each of these universities have their strengths and weaknesses hence the need to carry out your comparison to make the right choice regarding which university will suit you.
If this was helpful, please reach out to us in the comment section.
Even More Topics: