Today, we share with you the complete list of all universities in Ogun State. As Nigeria now boasts a large number of universities, and each one has helped the nation produce honorable graduates, Ogun State has the highest number of universities in the country.
You need at the at least be aware of the range of educational establishments that are situated within the state if your goal is to graduate from one of the colleges in Ogun State.
The dictatorship under General Murtala Mohammed was established on February 3, 1976, and Ogun State was created, and it is one of the 36 states in Nigeria.
It is situated in the southwestern region of Nigeria and shares its borders with the states of Lagos to the south, Ondo to the east, Osun and Oyo to the north, and the Republic of Benin to the west. Ogun State was named after General Murtala Mohammed.
In addition to a number of other notable educational institutions, this state is home to Nigeria’s first and only University of Education, as well as the nation’s highest registered private university.
Does any of the universities in Ogun state make it to the top list of the best universities in Nigeria? You should find out.
How Many Universities Are In Ogun State?
Ogun State is home to a total of 16 accredited institutions, including one federal university, three state-owned universities, and 12 private universities, according to an analysis of data provided by the NUC that was conducted by The PUNCH.
Let us take a look at some of these prestigious universities in Ogun state.
List of Federal Universities in Ogun State
There is only one federal university in Ogun known as:
- Federal University of Agriculture Abeokuta (FUNAAB): One of the tertiary educational facilities in Nigeria that the federal government owns and oversees is located in the city of Abeokuta and is known as the Federal University of Agriculture.
The Federal Government of Nigeria founded the Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta, Ogun State, often known as FUNAAB, on January 1, 1988.
This came about as a result of the merging of four universities of technology that had previously amalgamated in 1984. This resulted in the establishment of the first two agricultural universities, which were located in Abeokuta and Makurdi respectively.
You should check out the full list of the cheapest federal universities in Nigeria.
What is FUNAAB cut off mark for agriculture?
The minimum score required to pass the UTME at FUNAAB is currently set at 160. Candidates who declared the Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta (FUNAAB) their first choice in the recently completed UTME are being invited to apply for admission into the department of their choice at the Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta.
How much is tuition fee for FUNAAB?
The acceptance fee for the 2022-2023 academic session at the Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta is N35,700, which is abbreviated as “Only Thirty Five Thousand Seven Hundred Naira.” This cost is non-refundable and required of all students who are starting their first year in 100L at FUNAAB.
List of State Universities In Ogun State
Ogun state also boast of three reputable state universities which are part of all the State Universities in Nigeria:
- Moshood Abiola University of Science and Technology Abeokuta: Located in the big city of Abeokuta, Moshood Abiola University of Science and Technology, Abeokuta was founded in 2017 as a non-profit public higher education school.
Moshood Abiola University of Science and Technology, Abeokuta (MAUSTECH) is a Nigerian university that accepts both male and female students, and it has received official recognition from the National Universities Commission of Nigeria.
Bachelor’s degrees in a variety of fields are available for completion at Moshood Abiola University of Science and Technology (MAUSTECH) in Abeokuta, Nigeria.
- Tai Solarin University of Education (TASUED) Ijebu Ode: When it comes to education in Nigeria, the Tai Solarin University of Education is the state-run option. It first opened its doors in 2005. Ijagun is part of the city of Ijebu-Ode in the state of Ogun.
University of Tai Solarin Honors Human Rights Activist and Educational Administrator from Nigeria (1922–1994). As the 76th recognized university in the country, it plays a significant role in Nigeria’s educational landscape.
On 29 January 2005, under the leadership of Otunba Gbenga Daniel, the Tai Solarin University of Education (TASUED, pronounced TARSUD) was officially created as a university (and a metamorphosis of the former Tai Solarin College of Education, founded in January 1978). Daniel
On Tuesday, November 28, 2005, TASUED was granted university status by the National Universities Commission (NUC).
- Olabisi Onabanjo University (OOU), Ayo Iwoye: Located in Ago-Iwoye, Ogun State, Nigeria, Olabisi Onabanjo University is a state-run institution of higher education.
The institution, formerly known as Ogun State University (OSU), was established on July 7, 1982; on May 29, 2001, it was renamed Olabisi Onabanjo University to honor Chief (Dr.) Olabisi Onabanjo, the civilian governor of Ogun State who was instrumental in the university’s establishment.
OSU is still widely used by students as an abbreviation for the school’s previous name, Oregon State University.
Related: List of Universities in Ekiti State
List of Private Universities in Ogun State
Ogun state has the highest number of private schools in Nigeria, a total of 12 private schools:
- Babcock University, Ilishan-Remo: Babcock Institution is a Nigerian private Christian coeducational university founded and supported by the Nigerian Seventh-day Adventist Church.
Distance-wise midway between Ibadan and Lagos, the university may be found at Ilishan-Remo, Ogun State, Nigeria.
The university’s Ben Carson School of Medicine graduated its inaugural class of students in 2017.
It is affiliated with the Seventh-day Adventist educational system, the second biggest Christian school network in the world.
No doubt, this school have met the NUC requirements for private universities establishment in Nigeria.
Do you need JAMB for Babcock?
Candidates seeking admission to Babcock University MUST either take the current JAMB test (for entry at the 100-level) or apply via the JAMB Direct Entry system (for Direct Entry).
Related: List of Universities in Kaduna State
Are phones allowed at Babcock University?
The use of personal GSM mobile phones is strictly prohibited on campus. Any student, however, is free to use the school’s telephones to get in touch with his or her loved ones whenever necessary.
- Covenant University Ota: Ota, Ogun State, Nigeria is home to Covenant University(CU), a private Christian university – one of the best private universities in Ogun state.
The university has relations to the Worldwide Church of Living Faith and participates in the activities of the National Universities Commission, the Association of Commonwealth Universities, and the Association of African Universities.
Covenant University made history in 2019 when it was included in the Times Higher Education’s top 401–500 list of institutions worldwide.
- Chrisland University: The city of Abeokuta, in the state of Ogun, is home to Chrisland University. Established in 2015, it has official accreditation from the National Universities Commission.
Chrisland University has how many students?
There are a total of 862 registered students at Chrisland University, and we expect this number to rise. The increasing number of foreign students attending Chrisland University is helping to expand its worldwide profile.
Is Chrisland Accredited?
Chrisland University is a women and men-welcome higher education institution that has been granted official accreditation or recognition by the National Universities Commission, Nigeria. Courses and programs at Chrisland University may help you earn degrees that are recognized in the real world, including bachelor’s degrees in a variety of disciplines.
- Bells University of Technology, Otta: In Nigeria, Bells University of Technology (BUT), or Bellstech, was the first private institution of its kind. In 2004, it opened its doors to its first class of students. It may be found in Nigeria, namely in the state of Ogun.
- Crescent University: The city of Abeokuta in Nigeria’s Ogun State is home to Crescent University. His Excellency, Judge Bola Ajibola, under the auspices of the Islamic Mission for Africa, founded this private institution.
The Bola Ajibola College of Law; the College of Environmental Sciences; the College of Natural and Applied Sciences; the College of Information and Communication Technology; the College of the Arts, the Social and Management Sciences; and the College of Health Sciences are all constituent colleges.
- Hallmark University, Ijebi Itele, Ogun: Located in the city of Ijebu-Itele in the Nigerian state of Ogun is where Hallmark University can be found.
The owner of Hallmark University is Richard Fessler. There was a school for aviation technicians in San Antonio, Texas, and it all started at Stinson Field with a program called AeroTech.
- Crawford University Igbesa: The Apostolic Faith Mission owns the private Crawford University in Igbesa, Ogun state, Nigeria.
In 2005, Paul Akazue, the then-leader and third Overseer of the Apostolic Faith mission in Africa, launched Crawford University. Before his untimely death in May of 2010, Rev. Paul Akazue served as Crawford University’s Proprietor and first ever appointed Chancellor.
- Mountain Top University (MTU): The Mountain Top University was established in 2015 as a private institution located in Makogi Oba, Ogun State, Nigeria.
The Pentecostal Christian denomination Mountain of Fire and Miracles Ministries started it. Dr. D.K. Olukoya, the creator and global general overseer of MFM Ministries, established the university.
- Mcpherson University (MCU), Seriki Sotayo, Ajebo: Abeokuta, Seriki-Sotayo, Ogun State, Nigeria is home to McPherson Institution (McU), a private Christian university. It was established in 2012 by the Foursquare Gospel Church in Nigeria.
- Trinity University Ogun State: Trinity University is a private institution in Nigeria that provides a wide variety of majors at the undergraduate level. Its campus may be found in Yaba, Lagos State.
The National Universities Commission (NUC) of Nigeria has granted Trinity University Nigeria accreditation and/or recognition.
- Southwestern University, Oku Owa :Southwestern University is a private institution in Nigeria that provides a wide variety of undergraduate majors and minors. Okunu-Owa, Ogun State, is home to the university.
The National Universities Commission (NUC), Nigeria, has certified and/or recognized Southwestern University.
- Christopher University Mowe: Christopher University is a private university that was granted permission to commence academic activities by the National Universities Commission (NUC) on March 5, 2015, and received approval from the Federal Government to do so on February 25, 2015.
Christopher University was established in 2015. The University can be found on a wide land area that is over 100 HECTARES and is situated in Mowe, on the Lagos / Ibadan express road. It is just a minute’s drive from Redemption camp, and it can be reached in 30 minutes by car from Ikeja, which is located in Lagos, Nigeria.
The University’s goal is to establish itself as a specialized institution that is dedicated to the development of academic innovation, skill-based training, and a tradition of academic quality in both the classroom and the research it does, with the cooperation of the business sector.
Facts About Federal University of Agriculture Abeokuta (FUNAAB) as a Federal University in Ogun State
- FUNAAB is located in the north-eastern part of Abeokuta, which is the capital of Ogun State. Its land area is around 10,000 hectares. It is one of the most popular universities in Ogun state.
- The cost of dormitory accommodation ranges from 18,000 to 61,000 Naira (Naira) per student.
- The FUNAAB Zoo Park is situated on a land area of 62 hectares just before the main gate of the University. It features exquisite scenic beauty as well as an environment that is naturally derived from a Savannah and a secondary forest.
Facts About Olabisi Onabanjo University (OOU), Ayo Iwoye as a State University in Ogun State
- Olabisi Onabanjo University (OOU), Ayo Iwoye was formally called Ogun State University
- It has a student population of over 50,000.
- OOU also boasts of a total of ten faculties including a total number of fifty-six departments which are spread across its campuses in the state.
Facts About Babcock University as a Private University in Ogun State
- Babcock University ranks number 24 among the 157 institutions in Nigeria.
- Babcock was awarded the Best Private University in Africa.
- The Seventh-Day Adventist Church, which owns Babcock, is opposed to its followers eating meat because of the church’s beliefs.
Which are the best universities in Ogun state? That’s a topic for another day. Visit our blog for more updates.
Universities in Ogun State (Summary)
If you are still contemplating getting enrolled in any of the listed universities in Ogun state, I believe the information about these schools will set your mind on the right path and help you make the right decision.
From the federal, to the state, and to the private universities, we can see that each of these institutions have their various weaknesses and strengths.
It is then left for you to choose which one suits you. Is it a federal university that you want to get enrolled in or a state, or a private.
One thing you will be assured of is that these institutions are among the best in Nigeria and in Africa.