This article contains the list of universities in Kwara State; categorized into federal, state, and private institutions of learning.
Located in western Nigeria, Kwara State shares international borders with Benin Republic to the west. It shares national borders with Kogi State, Niger State, Ekiti, Oyo, and Osun state. The state capital is Ilorin, and there are 16 LGAs spread over the state.
Kwara is the ninth largest in size out of Nigeria’s 36 states, although it has the sixth lowest population, with an estimated 3.2 million people as of 2016.
The Niger River flows along the northern border into Lake Jeba and then continues as the boundary, and the Awun, Asa, Aluko, and Oyun Rivers run through the state’s interior.
Kwara state is home to the University of Ilorin, a federal university; Kwara State University, a state institution; the Al-Hikmah University; the Landmark University; the Summit University; the Crown Hill University; the Thomas Adewumi University; and the Ahman Pategi University; a privately owned institution.
Read on to find out detailed information on the list of universities in Kwara state along with their tuition and cut off marks.
List of Federal Universities in Kwara State
There is only one Federal University in Kwara State namely University of Ilorin.
- University of Ilorin: The University of Ilorin (or Unilorin) is a public research institution in Ilorin, Kwara State, Nigeria. The federal military government issued an order establishing it in August 1975.
The university occupies one of the country’s largest geographical holdings, at around 15,000 hectares, and ranks among the country’s top educational institutions according to several measures. According to JAMB data, it will be the most competitive university in Nigeria that year.
Related: Full List of All Federal Universities in Nigeria
- What is the Tuition at Unilorin?
University of Ilorin tuition and fees for new students are currently N22,500, with returning students paying anywhere from N19,900 to N21,500. Fees vary by department, so incoming freshmen can peruse the school’s website to learn more. The web platform will also be used for making payments.
- What is the Cutoff Mark for Unilorin?
UNILORIN currently has a UTME cut-off of 180. Those who selected UNILORIN as their top school in the recently finished UTME are being extended an invitation to enroll in the academic program of their choice at the University of Ilorin.
- How much is the application form for Unilorin?
The registration site for the University of Ilorin Post UTME Screening Form 2023 may be found at www.unilorin.edu.ng/eportal. The cost of a UTME form at UNILORIN is N2,000 (Two Thousand Naira Only). To submit your application fee via Remita, please log in to the candidate portal.
List of State Universities in Kwara State
There is only one state university in Kwara State namely Kwara State University.
- Kwara State University: Malete, Kwara State, Nigeria is home to Kwara State University (or KWASU for short), a public institution of higher education. It is the 95th university in Nigeria to be officially accredited by the Nigerian Universities Commission (NUC).
Dr. Bukola Saraki’s government founded the university in 2009 with the goal of making it into something more than a conventional Nigerian institution.
- What is the Tuition Fee for KWASU?
Kwara State University, Ilorin’s current tuition ranges from N99,000 for first-year students to N209,000 for seniors. New students should visit the school’s website to research individual departmental costs.
- What is the cut off mark for KWASU?
At this time, KWASU requires a UTME score of at least 140 to be considered for admission. Candidates who selected KWASU as their first preference in the recently concluded UTME are being extended an invitation to apply for admission to the department of their choice at the Kwara State University, Ilorin.
List of Private Universities in Kwara State
Kwara State boasts of six private accredited universities.
On the list of universities in Kwara State is Summit University. which was established in 2015 in Offa as a private institution of higher education. The Ansar-Ud-Deen Society of Nigeria, a Muslim organization founded to further Muslim education and Nigerian Muslim society, owns and founded the university.
- What is the cut off mark for Summit University?
The JAMB cutoff mark for Summit University is 160.
- What is the Tuition for Summit University?
The tuition for summit university is N275,000 to N280,000.
Ahman Pategi University
Located in the city of Offa, Summit University is a private, nonprofit university that first opened its doors to students in 2015. The institution is owned and was formed by the Ansar-Ud-Deen Community of Nigeria, a Muslim organization with the goal of advancing Muslim education and Nigerian Muslim society.
The Federal Executive Council (FEC) of Nigeria approved the creation of twenty new private universities in the country in February, 2021, and one of them is Ahman Pategi University, Patigi.
Thomas Adewumi University
Located in Oko-Irese, Kwara State, Nigeria is the Thomas Adewumi University, a private institution of higher education. The National Universities Commission (NUC), Nigeria, has authorized Thomas Adewumi University.
Crown Hill University
Crown-Hill University is a private institution in Nigeria that provides a wide variety of interesting and challenging undergraduate majors. Eiyenkorin, Kwara State, is home to the university. The National Universities Commission (NUC), Nigeria has granted Crown-Hill University its seal of approval and/or accreditation.
- How much is Crown Hill school fees?
Crown Hill school fees is N225,000.
Located in Omu-Aran, Kwara State, Nigeria, Landmark University is a private Christian institution with ties to the Living Faith Church Worldwide. According to Webometrics, it was one of Nigeria’s top five institutions in 2014.
On its campus in Omu-Aran, Kwara state, the university conducts all of its academic programs. In 2014, there were 2,684 students enrolled at Landmark University. This number included overseas students from various African nations.
- What is Landmark University’s national ranking in Nigeria?
Landmark University achieved a national ranking of #40 in Nigeria and a global ranking of #5592 in 2023, with scores in 14 different areas of research.
- How much does the dormitory at Landmark College cost every semester?
All students, new and old, enrolled in the 2023–2024 school year, are welcome to stay in the hostel. The cost of staying in a hostel range from N50,000 to N100,000 Naira a year.
The city of Ilorin, Kwara State, Nigeria is home to Al-Hikmah University, an Islamic institution of higher education. The AbdulRaheem Oladimeji Islamic Foundation (AROIF) of Nigeria and the World Assembly of Muslim Youths (WAMY) of Jeddah created it in 2005. The former Vice-chancellor, Professor Muhammed Taofeek Olalekan Ibrahim.
On 7 January 2005, the Federal Government of Nigeria issued the University License No. 010 to allow it to function as a Conventional Private University.
Interestingly, Al-Hikmah University is one of the top 20 cheapest private universities in Nigeria today.
- What is the Tuition for Al-Hikmah University?
The Al-Hikman School boasts reasonable tuition rates (between N500,000 and N600,000) and a respectable faculty and student body (both of which are reflected in the school’s name). Hostels and a library are available to students at AL-Hikman University. It thinks that with these upgrades, it may move closer to its ultimate objective of becoming a global center of excellence.
- What is the cut off mark for Al-Hikmah University?
For the 2023–2024 academic year, the management of the College of Education at Al-Hikmah University has decided that the minimum qualifying score for admission to any program at the university will be 160 on the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB), with some exceptions.
- Exactly what does Al-Hikmah University require in terms of dress and grooming?
Since Al-Hikmah University is a religiously affiliated institution, male students are expected to dress appropriately and cover all of their skin. Female students are likewise expected to wear the full hijab (veil) at all times.
Procedures for Starting a University in Nigeria
There are certain NUC requirements for private universities establishment in Nigeria. There are also general requirements for all universities to be established.
- You need to put together a letter of intent. The NUC’s Executive Secretary is the proper recipient of this letter of intent. Details such as the prospective institution’s name, location, goal and vision, nature, and planned area of emphasis within the existing Nigerian university system should all be included in the letter.
- The next step is an interview with the commission. The goal of this interview is to gauge your level of commitment.
- After careful consideration of your written application, you will be invited to pick up a packet of 10 application forms. All of them must be submitted in person, and there is a cost associated with them (currently N1,000,000, but this is subject to change). To aid and facilitate direction, copies of guidelines and other requirements will be supplied.
- Those applications should be sent in. You will be asked to provide a Bank Draft made payable to NUC for the non-refundable processing fee (currently N5,000,000). If you have them on hand and ready to go, please attach the following. It is recommended that the final two items on the list below wait to be obtained until the application process has progressed further. Here is a list of the paperwork you’ll need:
- Draft of University Law
- Draft of Academic Brief
- Counterpart Deed of Assignment
- Draft of Master Plan
- Certificate of Incorporation/Registration of Proprietors (along with Articles and Memorandum of Association).
- Letter of Available Liquid Cash, Assignment/Certificate of Occupancy, and a Bank Guarantee of Funds in the Amount of N200,000 from a Reputable Financial Institution.
- Interactive meeting with the Standing Committee of Private Universities, SCOPU. The members of the Planning and Implementation Committee of the university you intend to establish are invited for an interactive meeting with the aforementioned committee of the NUC build. The conference is a prelude to the first trip to the prospective university’s campus.
- Submission of all remaining required paperwork.
- Experts from the appropriate NUC divisions will thoroughly review all submitted relevant documents.
- First verification visit
- Revision of documents by proprietors based on report by the standing committee of private universities of the commission
- Final site assessment visit
- Security screening of proprietors and board of trustees of the proposed university
- Approval by the of National University Commission board
- Approval by the management of National University Commission
- Approval by the federal executive council (FEC).
Facts About University of Ilorin as a Federal University
- It was established by a decree of the federal military government in August, 1975.
- The institution has one of the largest land areas, covering approximately 15,000 hectares of land.
- It has a student population of over 50, 000.
- Unilorin has 15 faculties.
- It also has 60 academic departments across all ten of the 15 faculties.
Facts About Kwara State University as a State University
- KWASU held her first convocation on 1 June 2013 and inaugurated KWASU Alumni Association with Oyinloye Damilare Peter as the pioneer President.
- The university was established by the administration of Dr. Bukola Saraki in 2009.
- It is the 77th university to be registered by the Nigerian Universities Commission, and the 95th university to be recognized in Nigeria.
- It is the first institution in Nigeria to offer a (B.Eng.) in Aeronautical and Astronautical engineering.
Facts About Al-Hikmah as a Private University in Kwara State
- Al-Hikmah university was founded in 2005 by AbdulRaheem Oladimeji Islamic Foundation (AROIF) based in Nigeria and World Assembly of Muslim Youths (WAMY) based in Jeddah.
- Hikmah University is an Islamic university.
- It has seven faculties.
- Al-Hikmah University requires that male students dress decently and wear clothing covering every part of their bodies. The female students are also required to put on the hijab (veil) that covers major parts of their bodies.
- Hikmah offers seven sub-degree programs.
List of Universities in Kwara State (Summary)
There are a total of 8 universities in Kwara state as we have seen in the list of universities in Kwara state. These universities are subdivided into federal, state and private.
What did you think? If you’re looking to study in any of these universities, then you have the information you need.