Have you ever considered getting enrolled in any of the universities in Kano state? If you have, this article is just for you. I have compiled a list of universities in Kano State along with their respective tuition and cut off marks.
Located in Nigeria’s northern region, Kano State is one of the country’s 36 states. Kano State had the most population in Nigeria’s 2006 census. The most up-to-date official estimations for Nigeria’s population were conducted in 2016, and they confirmed that Kano State remained the country’s most populous.
Kano State, which was formed in 1967 from the previous Northern Region, is located in the north, shares borders with Katsina State to the west, Jigawa State to the northeast, Bauchi State to the southeast, and Kaduna State to the southwest.
Kano, the state capital and largest metropolis, is Nigeria’s second most populous city after Lagos. Kano State is home to several universities that provide higher education opportunities to students from within the state and beyond. The universities in Kano State offer a wide range of programs, including science, technology, social sciences, and humanities, among others.
Just as there are many tourist attractions in Lagos State, there are many tourist attractions in Kano State as well.
Bayero University Kano, one of the oldest and most prestigious universities in Nigeria, is located in Kano State. Other universities in the state include Kano University of Science and Technology, Yusuf Maitama Sule University Kano, Skyline University Nigeria. These universities provide a diverse range of academic and research opportunities, making Kano State an important center of higher education in Nigeria.
Without any further ado, let’s begin with the aforementioned list of universities in Kano state, across the federal, state and private levels.
List of Federal Universities In Kano State
There are two federal universities in Kano state namely Bayero University, Kano, and Nigeria Police Academy Wudil. These two are one of the federal universities in Nigeria.
Bayero University, Kano
Located in the capital city of Kano, Kano State, Nigeria lies the Bayero University Kano (BUK). It was established in 1975 after formerly being known as Bayero University College before being promoted to university status. The state of Kano in northwest Nigeria now has its first university.
- What is the Cutoff Mark for Bayero University?
Incoming BUK freshmen, please use this page to verify your admissions requirements. The minimum score required to enter Bayero University Kano, BUK in the JAMB Post UTME is 180. Only those with a minimum UTME score of 180 will be considered for admission.
- How much is the BUK acceptance fee?
BUK acceptance fee for new students is 5,000 Naira only.
Nigeria Police Academy Wudil
The Police Training School at Challawa, Kano, where cadet Inspectors were taught, and the Police College in Kaduna, where cadet ASPs were trained, both officially opened in 1988. After its original Commissioning on April 2, 1996 by then Head of State and Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces, General Sani Abacha, the two campuses were merged and relocated to its permanent site in Wudil, Kano, with the hope that the Academy would eventually become affiliated with a university in order to offer degree-granting programs.
The National Universities Commission (NUC) officially recognized the Nigeria Police Academy Wudil- Kano State as the 37th Federal University and the 124th University in Nigeria in 2012. This followed an upgrade to the Academy by the Federal Government of Nigeria in 2012. In September of 2012, classes began.
- What is the cut off mark for Nigeria Police Academy Wudil?
The cutoff mark for Nigeria Police Academy Wudil is 180.
List of State Universities in Kano State
Kano has two state universities Yusuf Maitama Sule University Kano, and Kano University of Science & Technology, Wudil.
- Yusuf Maitama Sule University Kano: Yusuf Maitama Sule University Kano is a public institution of higher education in Nigeria that is owned by the government of Kano State. It comprises two campuses: the City Campus, which can be found in Kano, and the main campus, which can be found along General Buhari Way in Kofar Ruwa, Kano.
How much is Yusuf Maitama University Tuition?
The tuition for new students at Yusuf Maitama Sule University, Kano, can be anywhere from N35,000 to N120,000, while the tuition for returning students can be anywhere from N30,000 to N105,000 naira. You will need to examine the costs that are associated with each department on the official website of the school if you are a new student.
What is the minimum score required to be accepted into Yusuf Maitama Sule University in 2023?
The minimum score required to register for the Yusuf Maitama Sule University POST UTME is 160, which is the same as the minimum score required to register for NWU Jamb for the 2023/2024 academic session. Therefore, in order for a student to register for NWU Jamb, he or she must have scored at least 160 in the recently concluded JAMB examination.
- Kano University of Science & Technology, Wudil: Along the Gaya/Dutse Road in the Wudil Local Government Area of Kano state is where you’ll find Aliko Dangote University of Science and Technology (ADUST). 2001 marked the beginning of the university’s teaching and research programs, and it quickly became a member of the Association of Commonwealth Universities.
What is the minimum score required to get accepted into Wudil at Kano University of Science and Technology?
For the 2023/2024 academic session, the minimum score required to register for the Kano University of Science and Technology Post-UTME is 120. Therefore, in order for a student to be eligible to register for the Kano University of Science and Technology POST UTME, he or she must have scored no less than 120 in the recently concluded JAMB examination.
How much do the school fees cost to attend Kano University of Science and Technology?
The Kano University of Science and Technology, Wudil charges all students, new and returning, an enrollment fee that falls between in the region of N22,800 and N50,800 per semester. You will need to examine the costs that are associated with each department on the official website of the school if you are a new student.
List of Private Universities in Kano State
There are for reputable private universities in Kano State.
- Skyline University, Kano: Kano, Nigeria is home to Skyline University, a private institution of higher education. Skyline University Nigeria was founded in 2018, and the Nigerian federal government granted the institution’s request to begin operations in May 2018, in Kano. Skyline University Nigeria is privately owned and operated.
What is the minimum grade required to get into Skyline University?
Candidates who scored 180 or higher on the JAMB UTME were invited to participate in the post-UTME screening procedure that was held by Skyline University.
Al-Istiqama University, Sumaila, Kano State: Kano State, Nigeria is home to the Al-Istiqama Institution, Sumaila (AUSU), which is a university that is privately operated. The National Universities Commission (NUC), Nigeria, has presented AUSU with an official accreditation and/or recognition certificate.
Related: List of Public Universities in South Africa
Is the university of Al Istiqama accredited?
The Al-Istiqama University, Sumaila, often known as AUSU, is a university in Kano State, Nigeria that is privately owned. The National Universities Commission of Nigeria (NUC) has granted AUSU the official accreditation and/or recognition necessary to operate.
- Maryam Abacha American University of Nigeria, Kano State: Founded by Professor Adamu Abubakar Gwarzo, Maryam Abacha American University of Nigeria (MAAUN) is a private university in Nigeria that possesses the necessary accreditation. On Monday, 15 February 2021, the Maryam Abacha American University of Nigeria (MAAUN) Kano campus received its operating license from the National Universities Commission (NUC).
The undergraduate curriculum at Maryam Abacha American University of Nigeria (MAAUN) is one of the most extensive of any Nigerian private university. The city of Kano, the state capital, is home to the university.
Professor Adamu Abubakar Gwarzo founded the private Maryam Abacha American University in Nigeria (MAAUN). On Monday, February 15, 2021, the Maryam Abacha American University of Nigeria (MAAUN) Kano campus received its operating license from the National Universities Commission (NUC).
You should check out our article about the top 20 most affordable private universities in Nigeria and their tuition.
What is Maryam Abacha University tuition and fees in Kano, Nigeria?
The tuition for the Academic Session at Maryam Abacha American University is N310,000.
- Capital City University, Kano State: The center of historic Kano, Nigeria is home to Capital City University, a private institution of higher education. The school was founded to better serve the community by expanding access to higher education, fostering intellectual growth, and fostering talent among the populace.
The National Universities Commission (NUC), Nigeria has granted CCUK (Capital City University of Kano) accreditation.
Procedures for Starting a University in Kano State
Do you want to start a private university in Nigeria? Here are some procedures to follow before your project can be approved by the NUC.
The following is an extract from our guide on NUC requirements to start a private university in Nigeria.
- You need to put together a letter of intent. The NUC’s Executive Secretary is the primary recipient of this letter of intent. Details such as the prospective institution’s name, location, goal and vision, nature, and planned area of emphasis within the existing Nigerian university system should all be included in the letter.
- Next, is an interview with the commission. The goal of this interview is to gauge your level of commitment.
- After carefully considering your written application, you will be called to pick up a packet of 10 application forms. All of them must be submitted in person, and there is a cost associated with them (currently N1,000,000, but this is subject to change). To aid and facilitate direction, copies of guidelines and other requirements will be supplied.
- You will be asked to provide a Bank Draft made payable to NUC for the non-refundable processing fee (currently N5,000,000), after the necessary applications have been sent in. If you have them on hand and ready to go, please attach the following. It is recommended that the final two items on the list below wait to be obtained until the application process has progressed further. Here is a list of the paperwork you’ll need:
- Draft of Academic Brief
- Draft of University Law
- Counterpart Deed of Assignment
- Draft of Masterplan
- Certificate of Incorporation/Registration of Proprietors (along with Articles and Memorandum of Association)
- Letter of Available Liquid Cash, Assignment/Certificate of Occupancy, and a Bank Guarantee of Funds in the Amount of N200,000 from a Reputable Financial Institution.
- Interactive meeting with the Standing Committee of Private Universities, SCOPU. The members of the Planning and Implementation Committee of the university you intend to establish are invited for an interactive meeting with the aforementioned committee of the NUC build. The conference is a prelude to the first trip to the prospective university’s campus.
- Submission of all remaining required paperwork.
- Experts from the appropriate NUC divisions will thoroughly review all submitted relevant documents.
- First verification visit
- Revision of documents by proprietors based on report by the standing committee of private universities of the commission
- Final site assessment visit
- Security screening of proprietors and board of trustees of the proposed university
- Approval by the of National University Commission board
- Approval by the management of National University Commission
- Approval by the federal executive council (FEC).
Related: Full List of Universities in Rivers State
Facts About Bayero University, Kano as a Federal University
- Bayero University initially was Ahmadu Bello College.
- It has eleven faculties and two colleges of education.
- It was renamed from Bayero University College and upgraded from University College to University.
- It was founded in 1975.
Facts About Kano University of Science & Technology, Wudil as a State University
- Widely known as Aliko Dangote University of Science and Technology (ADUST), KUST is located along Gaya/Dutse Road, Wudil LGA of Kano state.
- It has Aliko Dangote as its Vice Chancellor.
- ADUST was founded in 2001.
- The University is ranked 123rd in the list of Best Universities in Nigeria.
- The University was formerly known as Kano University of Science and Technology (KUST), Wudil.
- The university was renamed to Aliko Dangote University of Science and Technology, Wudil in the year 2022 by the Governor of the state Abdullahi Umar Ganduje.
Facts About Skyline University as a Private University
- Skyline University Nigeria was established in the year 2018.
- Skyline University Nigeria is the first private University in Kano, Nigeria and also the second private University in North-West region of Nigeria.
- Skyline University Nigeria has 3 different faculties with departments attached to the faculties.
- It is one of the most expensive private universities in Nigeria with a tuition estimated at N2, 070,000.
- Mr. Kamal Puri is the founder of Skyline University.
List of Universities in Kano State (Summary)
Kano state is blessed with many prestigious educational institutions, as we have seen in the list of universities in Kano state. Each of these universities have their respective strengths and weaknesses which sets them apart from one another. It is then left for you to choose which university suits you.