Welcome to our informative guide on the list of universities in Bayelsa state! If you’re considering pursuing your education in this fascinating part of Nigeria, you’ve come to the right place. Bayelsa, an integral part of the Niger Delta, is home to some of Nigeria’s most esteemed institutions. As one of the newest states in the country, making up the Nigerian 36 states and capitals, Bayelsa was established in 1996 after separating from Rivers State and is situated in Nigeria’s South-South region.
The Ijaw people make up the majority of Bayelsa’s population, with Ijaw being the most widely spoken language. Additionally, the Isoko and Urhobo peoples also have deep roots in this region, particularly in the Sagbama local government area. Despite having the smallest population and land area among Nigerian states, according to the 2006 census, Bayelsa boasts a rich and diverse culture.
The unique riverine and estuarine environment of Bayelsa State in the Niger Delta region poses challenges for extensive road infrastructure construction. Nevertheless, the state offers excellent educational opportunities.
How Many Universities Are In Bayelsa State?
Bayelsa State is proud to host 4 universities, with one being federally funded and the remaining three being state-funded institutions.
If you’ve recently moved to this state and are searching for a comprehensive list of universities in Bayelsa State, look no further!
It’s worth noting that, at the time of writing, there are no private universities in Bayelsa state. Stay tuned as we keep you updated on the evolving educational landscape in this remarkable region!
Related: List of Universities in Ogun State
List of Federal Universities in Bayelsa State
There exist only one Federal University in Bayelsa state namely Federal University, Otuoke, Bayelsa. This university makes our list of Federal Universities in Nigeria.
Federal University, Otuoke, Bayelsa
Nestled in the charming town of Otuoke, situated within the Ogbia local government area of Bayelsa State in Southern Nigeria, you will find the Federal University Otuoke. This esteemed institution was founded by the Federal Government of Nigeria as one of nine new federal universities. The establishment of the university was carried out during President Goodluck Jonathan’s administration in February 2011, which has since been included in the list of universities in Bayelsa State.
Upon its inauguration in 2011, the Federal University Otuoke welcomed a modest number of 282 eager students. Fast forward to today, and the university now proudly boasts six (6) academic faculties, each offering undergraduate degree programs.
As a student at the Federal University Otuoke, you can choose from a diverse range of undergraduate courses across faculties such as Science, Management Science, Social Sciences and Humanities, Arts and Education, Engineering and Technology, and Technology. The university’s commitment to excellence and sustainability has earned it a partnership with the organization Sustainable Public Procurement, further solidifying its place on the list of universities in Bayelsa State.
- What is the JAMB Cutoff Mark for Federal University Otuoke?
This means that a student must have scored at least 140 on the just-concluded JAMB exam in order to be eligible to register for the POST UTME at Federal University Otuoke for the 2023/2024 academic year.
- How much is tuition at FUOTUOKE?
School costs at Federal University, Otuoke, Bayelsa, are currently at N106,000 (including acceptance fees) for first-year students and N57,500 (including acceptance fees) for returning students. New students should visit the school’s website to research individual departmental costs.
List of State Universities in Bayelsa State
Bayelsa also boasts of three state universities namely Bayelsa Medical University, University of Africa Toru Orua, Bayelsa State, Niger Delta University Yenagoa. You should check out other state universities in Nigeria.
Bayelsa Medical University
Bayelsa Medical University (BMU) is a prestigious state-owned institution situated in the bustling city of Yenagoa. With its establishment in August 2018, BMU has rapidly become a center for excellence, attracting over 500 eager students who are passionate about pursuing careers in medical fields.
At BMU, students have the opportunity to explore four distinct faculties, each tailored to suit their interests and career goals. These faculties include the Faculty of Sciences, Faculty of Basic Medical Sciences, Faculty of Health Sciences, and Faculty of Clinical Sciences. Immerse yourself in the vibrant academic community at BMU, a top choice on the list of universities in Bayelsa State, and embark on an enriching educational journey that will shape your future in the medical field.
- What is the Cut off mark for Medicine in Bayelsa Medical University?
In order to enroll in a medical program at Bayelsa University, the minimum score on the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board UTME for the 2022–2023 academic year is 140.
- How much is Bayelsa medical school fees?
The tuition at Bayelsa Medical University is N100,000.
Related: List of Universities in Rivers State
University of Africa Toru Orua
UAT stands for the Institution of Africa, Bayelsa State, and it is a public university in Nigeria that is funded and managed by the state government.
Nigeria’s National Universities Commission (NUC) has granted the University of Africa, Bayelsa State its seal of approval.
- What is the cut off mark for University of Africa Toru Orua?
Africa’s Top Academic Institution UAT’s Toru Orua campus has a JAMB Post UTME minimum score of 160. Candidates must have a minimum UTME score of 160 to be considered for admission.
- What are the tuition and fees like at the University of Africa Toru Orua?
The tuition at UAT is N55,000 each semester for undergraduates at the Toru-Orua campus.
Niger Delta University Yenagoa
Wilberforce Island, Bayelsa State, in southern Nigeria is home to Niger Delta University (NDU). Its doors first opened in 2000. The university receives funding from the Bayelsa state government. Chief DSP Alamieyeseigha, the governor of Bayelsa state at the time, founded it in 2002.
Law classes are held at the main campus in Yenagoa, the state capital, while the other main site is located in Amassoma. Okolobiri is also home to the university’s teaching hospital, the Niger Delta University Teaching Hospital (NDUTH).
- What is the Tuition at Niger Delta University Yenagoa?
Tuition at Niger Delta University Yenagoa, for both returning and first-time students, is currently between 100,000 and 200,000 naira per year. New students should visit the school’s website to research individual departmental costs. To complete the transaction, payment would be made through the website.
- What is the cut off mark for Niger Delta University Yenagoa?
Candidates must have a JAMB UTME score of 150 or higher to be admitted to Niger Delta University.
Related: See the List of the Cheapest Private Universities in Nigeria
Procedures for Starting a University in Nigeria
Starting a university in Nigeria is not an easy task, as there are many procedures one will have to follow before one can receive a seal of approval from the appropriate bodies for the commencement of a university building project. These procedures to start a university in Nigeria are outlined below :
- You need to put together a letter of intent. The NUC’s Executive Secretary is the proper recipient of this letter of intent. Details such as the prospective institution’s name, location, goal and vision, nature, and planned area of emphasis within the existing Nigerian university system should all be included in the letter.
- The next step is an interview with the commission. The goal of this interview is to gauge your level of commitment.
- After careful consideration of your written application, you will be invited to pick up a packet of 10 application forms. All of them must be submitted in person, and there is a cost associated with them (currently N1,000,000, but this is subject to change). To aid and facilitate direction, copies of guidelines and other requirements will be supplied.
- Those applications should be sent in. You will be asked to provide a Bank Draft made payable to NUC for the non-refundable processing fee (currently N5,000,000). If you have them on hand and ready to go, please attach the following. It is recommended that the final two items on the list below wait to be obtained until the application process has progressed further. Here is a list of the paperwork you’ll need:
- Draft of University Law
- Draft of Academic Brief
- Counterpart Deed of Assignment
- Draft of Masterplan
- Certificate of Incorporation/Registration of Proprietors (along with Articles and Memorandum of Association)
- Letter of Available Liquid Cash, Assignment/Certificate of Occupancy, and a Bank Guarantee of Funds in the Amount of N200,000 from a Reputable Financial Institution.
- Interactive meeting with the Standing Committee of Private Universities, SCOPU. The members of the Planning and Implementation Committee of the university you intend to establish are invited for an interactive meeting with the aforementioned committee of the NUC build. The conference is a prelude to the first trip to the prospective university’s campus.
- Submission of all remaining required paperwork.
- Experts from the appropriate NUC divisions will thoroughly review all submitted relevant documents.
- First verification visit
- Revision of documents by proprietors based on report by the standing committee of private universities of the commission
- Final site assessment visit
- Security screening of proprietors and board of trustees of the proposed university
- Approval by the of National University Commission board
- Approval by the management of National University Commission
- Approval by the federal executive council (FEC).
- For Private institutions, the NUC Accreditation Requirements for Private Universities must be met.
Facts About Federal University, Otuoke
- FUOTUOKE is one of the Universities in Nigeria with the highest number of expulsions. On Thursday, March 28, 2019, FUOTUOKE expelled 12 students.
- It was founded in February 2011.
- The university is a Partner of Sustainable Public Procurement.
- It has a student population of over 11,000.
- The university currently have six (6) faculties and offers degree courses at undergraduate levels.
Related: List of Universities in Edo State
Facts About Niger Delta University Yenagoa as a State University in Bayelsa State
- Niger Delta University Yenagoa is a member of the Association of Commonwealth Universities.
- It also has its teaching hospital known as Niger Delta University Teaching Hospital (NDUTH) in Okolobiri.
- It has two main campuses, one in the state capital, Yenagoa, which contains the law faculty, and the other in Amassoma.
- It has a student population of about 16000.
- It was established in 2000
List of Universities in Bayelsa State (Summary)
In this friendly guide, we’ve explored the list of universities in Bayelsa state, providing you with valuable insights into your educational options in the region. Bayelsa boasts one federal university and three state universities, while currently, there are no private institutions in the area.
Throughout this article, we’ve discussed the necessary steps and requirements to establish a university in Nigeria. We genuinely hope this information has been beneficial in your search for the perfect university to attend in Bayelsa State. With this knowledge, you’re one step closer to making an informed decision and embarking on an exciting academic journey!
- List of Universities in Osun Sate
- List of Universities in Oyo State
- List of Universities in Ekiti State