Are you worried about finding the time to complete your studies while pursuing a lucrative job in medicine? Enter online medical assistant certification programs—the ideal answer for people with busy schedules who want to juggle their studies with job and other obligations.
Recently, we’ve published a comprehensive list of the top 10 best online CRNA programs, and in this article, we’ll explore the best online medical assistant programs you can complete in a very short period of time, their benefits, and how you can kickstart your healthcare career from the comfort of your own home.
No doubt, Online medical assistant certification programs are revolutionizing the way healthcare professionals are trained, offering unparalleled flexibility and convenience. Why this certification anyway?
Who Are Medical Assistants and What Do They Do?
Medical assistants are essential healthcare workers who are essential to the efficient operation of healthcare facilities like hospitals, clinics, and private practices. They collaborate with doctors, nurses, and other healthcare professionals to give high-quality patient care and maintain a productive hospital environment.
Medical assistants are skilled in a wide range of duties that fall under the administrative and clinical categories.
Administrative duties may include:
- Greeting patients and managing patient appointments
- Updating and maintaining patient records
- Handling insurance billing and coding
- Managing office correspondence, phone calls, and emails
- Ordering and maintaining office and medical supplies
If you enroll in any of the online medical assistant certification programs on this list, you’ll be able to discharge your administrative and clinical duties with the highest standards.
Clinical duties may include:
- Taking and recording patient medical histories and vital signs
- Preparing patients for examinations and procedures
- Aiding physicians during examinations and minor surgeries
- Collecting and preparing laboratory specimens for testing
- Administering medications and injections as directed by a physician
- Performing basic laboratory tests
- Instructing patients on medications, treatments, and follow-up care
Also Read: Top 10 Best Radiation Therapy Schools Online
The specific responsibilities of a medical assistant may vary depending on the healthcare setting, the size of the practice, and the state regulations. Some medical assistants may specialize in a particular area, such as administrative or clinical, while others may perform a combination of both roles.
To become a medical assistant, individuals typically complete a medical assistant training program, which includes classroom instruction and hands-on clinical experience. After completing their education, many medical assistants choose to pursue certification to enhance their employability and demonstrate their competency in the field.
The Best Online Medical Assistant Certification Programs 2023
|Ranking||Top Online Medical Assistant Certification Programs 2023||Our Take|
|1.||Herzing University||The Best Overall Medical Assistant Certification Online|
|2.||Penn Foster||Best for Registered Medical Assistant|
|3.||Texas State University||For Specialty Certification|
|4.||San Francisco State University||Best for Clinical Medical Assistant|
|5.||Purdue University||For Nationally Certified Medical Assistant|
How about we break it down?
1. Herzing University – The Overall Best Online Medical Assistant Degree
- Cost: $12,860
- Certifications Offered and Duration:
– Diploma in Medical Assisting | Duration: 10 months
– Associate of Science in Medical Assisting Services | 20 months.
Herzing University’s online programs provide foundational information and skills in medical terminology, medical office administration, insurance claims processing and adjudication, ethics and professionalism, and much more.
Herzing University’s Diploma in Medical Assisting is first on our list and the best online medical assistant certification program. It is designed to provide students with a solid foundation in both the administrative and clinical aspects of a medical assistant’s role. This program, which typically takes around 12 months to complete, combines theoretical instruction with practical, hands-on learning experiences to ensure students are well-prepared for their future careers.
- Comprehensive Curriculum: The program covers essential topics, such as medical terminology, anatomy and physiology, clinical procedures, patient care, administrative tasks, and basic pharmacology. This diverse curriculum ensures students are well-rounded and ready to tackle the challenges of working in various healthcare settings.
- Hands-on Learning: In addition to classroom instruction, students participate in laboratory sessions and a supervised externship in a real-world healthcare setting. These practical experiences allow students to apply their knowledge and skills in a safe and supportive environment, fostering confidence and competence in their abilities.
- Accreditation: The Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs has accredited the Herzing University’s Diploma in Medical Assisting program, ensuring it meets the highest standards of quality and rigor.
- Certification Preparation: Upon successful completion of the program, graduates are eligible to take the American Association of Medical Assistants’ Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) exam. (AAMA) or the Registered Medical Assistant (RMA) exam provided by the American Medical Technologists (AMT). The program is designed to prepare students for these certification exams, enhancing their employability and credibility within the healthcare field.
- Flexible Learning Options: Herzing University offers flexible scheduling options, allowing students to balance their education with work and personal commitments. Some campuses may also offer online or hybrid learning options for added convenience.
If you’re passionate about making a difference in patients’ lives and eager to join the healthcare workforce, Herzing University’s Diploma in Medical Assisting may be the perfect fit for you.
2. Penn Foster – Best for Registered Medical Assistant
- Cost: Between $5,800 – $6,300
- Courses Offered and Duration: 60 credits, spread over 4 semesters
- Accredited by: DEAC-accredited school
Second on the list of the best Online Medical Assistant Certification Programs is the one offered by Penn Foster.
Penn Foster is a DEAC-accredited online school that provides three different programs to help you obtain your registered medical assistant certification (RMA). You can pursue a diploma, an associate degree, or a bachelor’s degree. These self-paced classes are intended to assist you in preparing for national tests such as the RMA exam, the CCMA exam, and others.
Penn Foster offers three tuition payment options. When compared to other programs on our list, the curriculum is rather inexpensive, with a total cost of around $3,600 if paid in full in advance. Tuition includes a CCMA exam voucher, all learning materials, and unlimited student assistance. You may also be able to transfer previous postsecondary credits, which will save you money.
You Will Learn:
- Body systems such as the skeletal, muscular, and central nervous systems, as well as general body structures, functions, and processes.
- How to provide injections of drugs and assist doctors with minor surgical operations.
- How to recognize common illness processes, symptoms, and treatments.
- Learn to carry out administrative tasks at both the medical office and the laboratory, such as billing and medical record coding.
3. Texas State University Programs
- Cost: $3,995
- Duration: 12 months
- Accredited by: Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC)
Next on our list of top online medical assistant certification programs is provided by the Texas State University. Clinical medical assistants must employ Electronic Health Records (EHR) systems as the major information repositories for patient care in today’s technology-centered healthcare system. This 100% online course will prepare you to take the NHA’s CCMA (Certified Clinical Medical Assistant) and CEHR (Certified Electronic Health Records) certification tests.
What You Will Learn:
- Learn the specific skills required to contribute to an ambulatory healthcare team.
- Learn about ethical behavior, therapeutic communication, patient privacy regulations, medical terminology, and clinical procedures.
- Get a high-level understanding of electronic health record (HER) systems.
- Get hands-on experience with actual EHR software.
- Summarize the HIPAA Privacy and Security Rules.
- Describe the information found in various medical records.
- Discuss both public and private insurance.
- Identify the major body systems’ functions.
- Show how to draft a chief complaint and take a patient history.
- Explain how vital indicators are measured.
- Examine the significance of medical and surgical asepsis.
- Outline the basic injection administration instructions.
4. San Francisco State University
- Cost: $2,599
- Duration: 160-Hour Clinical Externship, 6months access.
- Accredited by: Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC), Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC)
- Enroll With SSU
What You Will Learn:
- How to record vital signs, blood pressure, and other patient care procedures connected to the doctor’s office visit.
- Drug administration, allergy management, and other pharmacology-related tasks
- Phlebotomy, laboratory processes, and the right techniques for collecting samples for laboratory analysis
- Cardiology and how to take a 12-lead ECG with the right lead placement
- Clinical medical assistant responsibilities and an introduction to healthcare facilities
- Medical jargon, human anatomy and physiology, and heart and blood vascular circulation
- Patient care and safety, medical and legal aspects of treatment, privacy, and HIPAA
- Interpersonal skills, effective verbal and nonverbal communication, and human behavior
- Sterile procedures, universal precautions, the use of biohazards and sharps properly, and the prevention of infections
- Updating patient medical records, recording patient medical histories
- And many more..
Also Read: 15 Best Online Trade Schools in California
5. Purdue University
- Cost: $371 per credit
- Duration: 58 credits, can be completed in of 1.5 years
- Certification Options: National Certified Medical Assistant (NCMA) , CCMA, CMA, RMA, CMAC.
- Accredited by: HLC and Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP)
- Enroll With Purdue
The online medical assistant certification programs offered by Purdue global is one of the most expensive. Even though some of the courses at Purdue Global can be completed at your own pace, it is less flexible than other programs on our list. The course is completed in 58 credits over the duration of about a year and a half, with each semester lasting 10 weeks.
A division of the Purdue University system is Purdue Global. It is highly known among those in the healthcare industry and offers a wide range of online diplomas and degrees. Upon completion of its Medical Assisting Certificate program, you are ready to sit for the NCMA exam.
FAQS About Online Medical Assistant Certification Programs
How Tough Is the CCMA Exam?
According to the NHA, the CCMA pass percentage is approximately 77%. This isn’t to say the exam is impossible, but it does suggest that no one should expect to stroll through it without studying. If you put in the time to properly prepare, you can achieve that 77% on your first try.
What makes a successful medical assistant?
Medical assistants work with patients who are physically and emotionally fragile, thus emotional intelligence, or the capacity to sense how others are feeling via observation, is vital for effective communication. Practical abilities are also necessary. It is necessary to be able to read, write, and talk confidently.
Will Online Medical Assistant Certification Programs Help You Improve Your Career?
Absolutely. Certifications like NCMA, or CCMA guarantees you faster job offers,
Also Read: Top 20 Best Online Data Science Programs
Conclusion on the top Online Medical Assistant Certification Program
As we’ve explored, the best online medical assistant degree programs in the USA can be life-changing, offering a pathway to a fulfilling career in healthcare that fits seamlessly into your busy life.
Whether you’re a recent high school graduate, a working professional seeking a career change, or simply someone with a passion for helping others, online medical assistant programs have the potential to transform your career and elevate your impact in the world of healthcare.